1 ½ cups dried black-eyed peas, washed, soaked overnight
1 ¾ cups and drained short grain brown rice, washed and drained
1 large onion, ¼ in. dice
1 nib celery, ¼ in. dice
1 carrot, ¼ in. dice
1 tbs. extra Virgin Olive oil
1 3 in. piece of Kombu
1 dried chili pepper, crumbled
6 cups water
sea salt – to taste
1. Saute onions, celery and carrots in the oil until onions are translucent.
2. Add rice and sauté until coated with oil.
3. Add beans, kombu chili peppers and water.
4. Bring to boil and simmer 1 hour or until done.
5. Add salt
½ cup corn oil
½ cup maple syrup
4 oz. soft tofu
1 ½ cups plain soy milk
½ cup water
2 cups corn meal
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 ½ tbs. non-aluminum baking powder
½ tsp. sea salt
fresh kernels from one ear of corn
1. Blend liquid ingredients
2. Mix dry ingredients
3. Pour liquid mixture into dry all at once and mix only until moistened
Pour into hot buttered cast iron skillet and bake in oven
@ 475 degree for 25 mins.
Sautéed Greens (Kale, Spinach, Mustard Greens, Dandelion, etc.)
1. Wash greens, trim stems and soak in iced salted water.
2. Drain, but do not dry. Place in large pot and cover greens with a pot cover that doesn’t cover the pot but fits inside the pot and place over very low heat until completely wilted, turning occasionally.
3. Drain and chop.
4. Heat a little unrefined oil and sauté some minced garlic until it sizzles. Add greens.
5. Season to taste: (sea salt, umeboshi plum vinegar, nutmeg, lemon, chili oil, pepper, etc.)