Vegetable Matzo Ball Soup
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic
1 small carrot, diced
1 ½ c. mixed vegetables (celery, collards, mushrooms, yellow squash)
2 tsp. fresh thyme and chopped marjoram
1 ½ qt. water
1 tomato, diced
1. Sweat onions, garlic in olive oil.
2. Add carrots, celery, mushrooms and tomatoes.
3. Add water and bring to boil, then simmer 15 mins.
4. Shape matzo balls and add to the soup, and cook 25 minutes.( or cook in boiling water: will taste better if cooked in soup, but may come apart and will soak up much of soup).
Matzo Balls (Knaidlach)
2 Tsp. Vegetable oil
2 Tsp. cold water
½ c. Matzo meal (try ½ & ½ WW matzo meal)
½ Tsp. salt
herbs; parsley, dill, thyme
1. Blend egg and oil
2. Mix matzo meal with salt and blend with egg mixture. Add water and seltzer.
3. Cover & chill for at least 15 minutes. The longer the better. Use 2 spoons to drop into boiling water.