Spanakopeta (Spinach Pie)
4 lbs. spinach, washed, wilted, drained and chopped
1 onion, finely chopped, ½ bunch parsley, finely chopped
1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
½ bunch parsley, finely chopped
½ cup pinenuts
1 lb. soft tofu
salt and pepper to taste
¼ - ½ cup white miso
¼ - ½ tsp grated nutmeg
1 lb. phyllo
½ lb. of melted butter mixed with 1 cup heated extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350º
2. Cook onion, scallions and parsley until thoroughly wilted.
3. Mash tofu and add cooked onion mixture, season with salt, pepper, miso and nutmeg.
4. Add chopped spinach.
5. Unroll phyllo and cover with a wet towel and a dry towel on top of the wet one.
6. Put half of spinach mixture on top of phyllo, then add 3-4 more leaves of phyllo.
7. Add remaining spinach mixture and finish with remaining phyllo.
8. Fold over edges. Be sure top is even and that you cannot see spinach through the phyllo dough.
9. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let rest several minutes before serving.