A Quiche For You
1. Saute 3 cloves garlic in 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil. Add 1 finely sliced leek, 1 ¼ cups thinly sliced mushrooms, red pepper and 10 large capers (rinsed and chopped), 2 cups blanched, finely chopped collards, salt, pepper.
2. Mix 1 ½ cups with pastry flour and 1 ½ cups unbleached white flour, 3 pinches sea salt. Add 1/2 cup Canola oil. When thoroughly mixed, add enough water to hold together (about ½ cup). Gather into a ball and let rest.
3. In food processor, mix 12 oz. tofu (approx.), splash of olive oil, 2 tbs. white miso, 2 tbs. brown rice vinegar, dash of white pepper, dash of hot sauce, 2 tbs. kuzu dissolved in ½ cup water and optional seasonings: thyme, basil and dill. Blend till velvety. Adjust seasonings.
4. Cut dough in half. Roll out half on flour dusted board, dust top, fold over and unfold onto quiche dish, fold edges under and flute.
5. Put sautéed vegetables into large bowl and pour tofu mixture over and gently mix.
6. Pour into pie shell
7. Roll out other half of dough and cover filling. Slash a few vents in top crust.
8. Place a sheet of aluminum foil, shiny side down, covering but not sealing and bake 25-35 min. @350 degree F (remove foil at 10 min). Cool
Carrot/Daikon Salad with Orange/Pine Nut Dressing
1. Grate 1 small daikon, 1 large carrot.
2. Cut 2 stalks of celery into slivers.
3. Toast ¼ cup pine nuts.
4. Squeeze ¾ cup orange juice.
5. Measure ½ cup currants.
1. Process toasted pine nuts with orange juice and set aside one hour to blend.
2. Mix vegetables and currants. Toss with dressing Sprinkle in some ume vinegar and toss again and serve.